Try this recipe for a quick and easy pizza made with simple ingredient cupboard classics and a few tricks up your sleeve.
Pizza, in the end, is a bread base with a sauce and some toppings on, so you can't really go wrong if you get something bread-like and add a few ingredients over before popping it into the oven. OK, it won't really be like a classical Neapolitan pizza style, but for a mid-week dinner or an activity to do with the kids is perfect!
For the base
You can use 2 flatbread, plain pitta bread or plain naan.
Easy tomato sauce
1/2 500g carton of passata
1-2 tbsp tomato puree
Salt and pepper
Dried oregano or mixed herbs
Good squeeze of tomato ketchup (optional)
For the toppings
50g Cheddar or similar cheese, grated.
1/2 a ball of mozzarella drained and torn in pieces.
Your choice of vegetables, for example: peppers in a jar, mushrooms, red onion, sweetcorn, spinach, fresh or frozen (defrosted and squeezed of excess water). Courgette in season. Fresh tomato. Fresh basil leaves.
Your favourite meats ie pepperoni, ham, leftover roast chicken, beef, cold sausages, tuna. You can use vegetarian/vegan alternatives.
1. Preheat the oven to 240C/Gas 9. Put a sheet of baking paper on a baking tray.
2. Meanwhile, mix all the tomato sauce ingredients together in a small bowl.
3. Prepare your toppings ie vegetable/meat to your taste. Cut them into similar sized pieces.
4. Grate the cheese, drain and tear up the mozzarella.
5. Spread some of the tomato base mixture, thinly over each chosen bread base to within ½ to 1cm from the edge.
6. Sprinkle on some grated cheese over the tomato sauce. Not too much.
7. Place on your favourite toppings evenly, starting with the meat, if using. Not piled up in the middle.
8. Sprinkle a little more cheddar and pieces of mozzarella evenly over he topping. Again not too much.
9. Bake in a hot oven for 8-10 minutes, until lightly brown and bubbling. You may need to turn round half way through depending on your oven.
10. Serve with a green salad